Shabby Blogs

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Water for Elephants

A few weeks ago a friend of mine and myself went shopping.  She is not a reader by any means so when she suggested that I read "Water for Elephants" I was naturally interested. She had said she had heard the most amazing reviews on this book and now it has come out in theater. She had thought that she might actually read this book in her spare time.  Now I haven't bought a book in years. I prefer to go online and request books from our local library, which is so easy to do on their website.  They actually hold them for you and you come and pick them up in a two-week period or they will put them back, and you get to keep them for 2 weeks. You also can check out 99 books at a time. I'm not sure who takes advantage of that number but its a great program!  I knew this book would not be available for quite some time at the library since it is new, so we both picked up a copy. It laid on my bedside for 2 weeks before I opened it up to start to read it. I never read a review. Never looked at the trailer for the movie. But I will tell you I was not interested to read about a circus, so I second guessed my impulse to buy such a book in the first place.


Once I picked it up, it only took 3 days for me to finish it. I would have finished it sooner if I did not have a child, husband, house, or work to do. It was beautifully written, but makes me wonder about the circus. That is why I feel like I need to post about it.

This year was the first year I have ever been to a circus, or at least one that requires a deposit of $30 a ticket. But I honestly do not remember ever attending a circus. When my good friend Shanna and her husband wanted to go we jumped at the chance thinking it was going to be so good for Jack, and it was. He had so much fun and pointed and laughed and sat through most of the show. I did not think much of PETA outside and actually laughed that they were there. In my naive state I always assume people treat animals and people with kindness, but especially animals.

I understand that this book is fiction and I also understand that its also set back in the 1930s. I read the authors questions and answers at the end of the book and she did put some factual things in the book. She did her research, and its scary.  Not only did they mistreat their animals by starving them and leaving them in temperatures that make camels sweat, they would also beat them if they didn't do exactly what they wanted them to. Beat them so badly that it would leave lacerations on their skin. It broke my heart. They also treated their workers like slaves...They were scared for their lives ALL the time. "Red-Lighting" is a term they use and it means they throw people off of a moving train. Most likely they die instantly as you can imagine.

Now I'm positive this does not happen in 2011, but I hope they don't mistreat their animals like they did. I guess I will just have to believe that they do not, just like I have to believe so many other things or I would guilt myself into a depression. Its hard to imagine such horrible things that could and may happen behind doors, when on the outside its beautiful, amazing and yet make so many people happy.

However, the book was an amazing "love" story among several people. I cannot wait to see the movie, but those who know me know that the last movie I actually saw in the theater was Transformers....and I'm not talking about the 2nd one.

http://www.stltoday.com/entertainment/youtube_805ae2fc-6c42-11e0-800f-0019bb30f31a.html
Water for Elephants Movie Trailer

3 comments:

  1. I just bought the book, but I haven't read it yet. I'm waiting for my break to read it and hopefully watch the movie in a theater and not on DVD:) Now I'm excited to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Krissy! What an awesome post! I also dove into this book unsure if I wanted to dedicate time to the subject matter of a circus. But I agree, it was amazing and made me really think about the way animals are treated in that environment as well as the lives of the circus workers back then!! I would so love to go check out the movie with you! Maybe it'd make a great Mom's Night Out?

    ReplyDelete
  3. My mom and I read it too! It really makes you think. I didn't even know they were making a movie. (weird, I know) Good post!

    ReplyDelete