Shabby Blogs

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Kid's First Camping Experience

The last time we went camping was August of 2008 and then I got pregnant with Jackson in September. It is something both of us missed terribly. A few weeks ago we decided the kids were old enough to go and we planned a trip with Paul and Jackie and their two girls, Molly and Bethany.  Jackie had never been camping before in her life and was a little concerned about how it was going to fair.

When I finally got everything packed I swore I would not EVER go camping again and we had not left yet. It was SO MUCH WORK! And the more you want to get stuff done, the more my kids are wild and naughty. Brecken probably cried the entire morning, no joke. I wanted a bloody mary before 9AM.

Luckily it did not rain until after we set up our tents, which was nice, and we had hot dogs and hamburgers for dinner. It rained on and off through the night but nothing too big. Saturday we lucked out because the rain didn't stop us from doing anything.  We still got to play in the creek with the waterfalls, have a scavenger hunt AND Aunt Jackie (she is so awesome) brought all the kids goodie bags with bubbles, ring pops, paint and glow sticks. We found rocks to paint and the kids LOVED that. The men chopped down dead trees with their tiny little hatchets and we had PLENTY of firewood. It was fun. Jackson asked me about 4 times if I liked camping because he REALLY liked it. He also asked Paul. :) But I think he likes camping so much because he can pee in the trees like "Caillou". Even Bethany liked peeing in the woods. :)

The morning we left it was monsooning !! Kevin and I were soaked. Everything we owned was soaked! NOT FUN! But looking back on our trip I loved every second of it. It makes good memories and even the not so fun parts we can laugh at now that we are in our dry homes. And Jackie loved it like I knew she would. She said she was going to sell her house and live in a tent. She slept very well and so did Jackson. He acted like a teenager.

A few things I learned...

#1.  A camp fogger is a must.
#2.  A potty training potty is a must and it was used several times by each child!
#3.  Listening to kids tell "ghost stories" is priceless.
#4.  Sleeping in a tent with two children isn't so bad when you have a 8-man tent.
#5.  Camping in the rain has "few" downfalls, or downpours.
#6.  Not that I thought it was possible, but I love the Koehlers even more! Thank you for such a great trip!


Our car was packed to the gills! Here is our campsite! 

LOVE!

 Check out Jack's shirt! Go Griz! 
Molly is overlooking this awesome little cove next to our site. Beautiful waterfall!

There is no need to even comment on these pictures! Adorable. 

This picture of Jack the kids thought was hilarious. Molly made me show her like 300 times. They belly laughed forever about this. I especially like Jacks shorts on backwards and they are jean shorts. Molly said he looks like he is from the 80's!! Where did she come from!? She was so funny! 

The kids before we went on our scavenger hunt! Aunt Jackie is the BEST! 

I have to admit, I love waking up to this. 

Daddy's little helper with Breakfast! Yum!! 

Painting rocks! Look at how precise Bethany is. 

I'm obsessed with this kid. :)

 Look at that butt! Cuteness! 
 They had a wrestle fest in our tent. Molly's exact words were "Party in the O'Hare tent!" Again where did she come from! I love her. 

 Waterfalls! 

 Fighting!
Jumping and digging for salamanders! 

ummm..dance off?? If you're sexy and you know it? 


The cornhole was out for exactly 20 minutes before the rain started. Thank you Jack and Roo for taking the time to actually play with it so it was worth bringing them. 

 Manly men. Look at those axes and the size of those trees! I'm impressed. :)





No comments:

Post a Comment