Some of you have met my father-in-law. He is one of the most loving, caring, genuine people I have ever had the pleasure of getting to know. And how lucky am I to have such an amazing man as my father-in-law and the grandfather of my children.
Recently he was faced with the decision to potentially better his heart, his life, by going through a triple by-pass surgery. He was reluctant at first, but we were all pleased to hear that he was going to go ahead and do it. It was scheduled for the beginning of May. Kevin's sister, Colleen was able to fly here to drive back to Ohio with Kevin. She also made it to Jack's birthday party and watched the Kentucky Derby with us.
Seeing Colleen again after several months was so good. I wish we would have had more time. The party day was crazy for me. I didn't get to really sit down and talk with her, however the morning after we did. She told me all about her trip to Vietnam and her stories were so interesting. She and her partner Jeana drove motorcylces across the entire country. So as you can imagine they had an adventure. One of the many stories that she told really made me love her even more. You see, Colleen is alot like her dad. She is funny, kind, and you just want to be around her. Kevin's uncle died in the Vietnam war and Colleen was determined to find any memorabilia of his. She said they had ALOT for sale in their gift shops such as dog tags, ect. She searched, and never stopped searching. She did not find anything of their uncle's, however they did pick up 3 dog tags that belonged to other soldiers. They have found their families and are going to write to them and send them these pieces of their history and loved ones. I found this so touching. I imagined being in one of the families shoes and having such a wonderful gift come back to me after all those years. It says alot about Colleen and Jeana to even think about doing such a nice gesture. I feel like I need to do more good in the world too to help others.
And on another good note, Kevin's dad is doing AMAZING. The surgery went very well without any complications at all. He was out of the hospital in 1 week, and now he is back at home doing what he loves best. Sleeping... :) They told him he could not drive any long distances for 8 weeks, so they have to postpone their trip down here for a little while when the baby arrives (which should be any day!), but we are so much looking forward to seeing them when they do arrive. I want to thank everyone who has called Kevin and I asking about his dad and praying for all of us. It means the world to us that you care and we never let that go unnoticed.
Cheers to new beginnings and helping make others hearts smile.

I loved meeting and talking to Colleen that weekend, but after reading this, i wish i could have spent so much time with her. What an amazing story!
ReplyDeleteAnd i'm so glad that Kevin's dad is OKAY!!!!