Shabby Blogs

Saturday, January 10, 2015

Our Year in Review

It's been almost a year since I have updated my little old blog. A whole year!! A lot can happen in a year. I don't even know where to start. It makes me kind of sad that I have taken such a long break from this especially when I enjoyed it so much.

Jackson
*Learned how to ride a bike!
* We waited a year to start Kindergarten because of  Jack's speech and immaturity. He started a TK program at a different school closer to home. He had also been in speech twice a week for six months, until our insurance ran out for the year. I saw my friend Kelly the other day, and she commented on how she can understand everything he said. Which makes me happy since I really can't tell because I understood him before his speech became better.
*Jack and Brecken's new school is beyond amazing. There were a few things I didn't like in the beginning, but I have gotten over them quickly because of how well they both are doing and how much they love going. Jack is a different kid from last year at school. He is learning so much, and his teacher told me she has to continue to give him harder work and more work because he is so far ahead of the other kids.
*He tells me stories about EVERYTHING!! He just told me two days ago "Mom, do you know why people kill animals?"
Why Jack?
"Because they want to make clothes and rugs out of their fur."
I was so stunned I just said...yeah I guess sometimes people do kill them for those reasons.
*He is OBSESSED with sports, and his current newest obsession is football.  I'm really not sure how because we are not a football crazed family. Kevin watches football and likes it, but I would say we are more soccer crazed. He wants to know about everything football. He ran into the kitchen the other day to tell me the "bad" team just fumbled and gave me a high-five. I mean "fumbled". He is growing up so quickly. He goes through football books and points out players names and the teams. He likes the Panther's and the Bengals (obviously).
-We went to a hockey game a few weeks ago, and ALL of us had fun. Brecken and Jackson sat there the entire time, cheered and rang bells. Jack did get upset because when they were throwing t-shirts into the crowd, he never got one. He was actually hysterically crying. I mean it was a scene. All I could do was laugh because I was actually stunned his feelings were hurt so bad. Luckily they featured him on the jumbotron, and all was forgotten. Brecken fell asleep in the last period of the game, and I couldn't believe he could sleep through all that noise. Except he woke up briefly when they scored to clap his hands with everyone else. Cute.
* Jack loves to tell jokes. He is constantly making them up. Every night at bedtime we read joke books, his choice. He came home the other day and said "Mom, why did the banana go to the doctor?"  "Because he wasn't "peeling" very well. HAHAHAHAHA


BRECKEN
*Brecken finally is potty trained and poops on the potty.  As much as I hate to say this is a milestone...it is. Both my boys had a hard time pooping! Insane. Glad we can close this door.
*And as most boys do, he loves the potty talk. They both think it's hilarious. For Christmas we got fake poop and a whoppie cushion. Boys are awesome.
*Brecken has always been very independent, and he never ceases to amaze me in this very department. He will get everything he wants, when he wants it without asking. He will play by himself for hours and hours. He will pour his own milk if the jug is small enough for him to hold it. Many of times I find the fridge wide open and a feast on the table that Brecken has provided himself.
* He is still obsessed with fire trucks.
*At Halloween Brecken wore his Ninja costume for a month straight. He would really get into character when he had it on.
*Brecken is really fun to tease. He hates almost everything girl and baby. He got a Barbie in his happy meal not that long ago and he ended up throwing it in the front seat with me. He claimed its for girls, and he is not a girl!! And I of course can't help but tease him constantly because his reaction is so funny. But I should stop. But not today of course.

We had about a million trips to Washington, Montana and even Denver this past year since two very best friends got married!! And I got to see all my Montana girls A LOT. My relationships with all of them couldn't be better. We have added a new baby girl to our mix of boys!! Emry Lee! And now LeeAnne is expecting her second child!!  We're hoping for another baby girl!! I hope that I get to see these girls again very soon. I miss them so much already.

It was so good to see my family this past June too. We took a short 5 hour flight with two kids under 5 to Seattle, then drove 9 hours to Montana to see my family. Fun times. The kids really were great though. I mean I probably was the worst of everyone. I'm a great traveler. The kids had fun with the millions of people that were in and out of my moms. So much drama went on in those 4 days we were there, but that is what makes it interesting and a little more comical. I don't know how my mom does it all. She has been in and out of the hospital quite a bit this year, and we have had two very big scares. She is having a difficult time ending her addiction to cigarettes. It has not been an easy ride for her. I'm praying she can find the strength to end it so she can be here with us for much longer.

 
The whole family!!
 
 
My sweet mom and dad.
 
 
My mom and I.
 
Kevin tore his ACL back in March while I was away at Barb's bachelorette party. I was so mad at first. Typical of me because I knew he would be out of commission for a while, and I have had a hate/hate relationship with Kevin's soccer since we had kids. I got over it quickly and tried to help him as much as possible. Crutches, ice....more ice...exercises for his knee. He was in a lot of pain for quite some time. He had to put off surgery since we had another trip planned for Montana. And we he finally went in in June, they had discovered that his ACL has partially repaired itself and surgery wasn't nessacary! So it took him no time to recover that and about 5 weeks later he was able to run and maybe 8 weeks he was able to play soccer again. God is good.



Kevin's dad Richard passed away this past November. November 21st to be exact, 6 days before Thanksgiving. He had not been well since I had met Kevin back in 2003. He has had multiple strokes and had fallen off the roof of his house just a few years ago that led him into a brain surgery. But even with all of this, I didn't think he would be gone so soon. They have just moved down here not that long ago. Just a few days before Richard had passed, they had decided on bringing home a new cat since Gracie had passed a few months ago. Richard died in his sleep. We miss him. The kids understand, but don't really understand. Brecken asks at times if Pop Pop is going to see the lights with us at Christmas, or if he is coming for dinner. Then Jackson will chime in, "He died Brecki and he is in heaven with Jesus." And Brecken will say "No he's NOT Jackson!!" and than he will proceed with his fake cry and whine that he is really good at. I think about him a lot. I can only imagine how much Yvonne and Kevin think about him. Especially Yvonne. She is amazing and I can only hope to be more like her someday. We miss you Richard. So much.



We are so much looking forward to this New Year. We've made some goals..and I of course have already fallen short. I mean it was a really easy one too. Kevin is going to sail through doing exactly what he set out to do. He's very admirable and one of the reasons I love him so much.  We are excited for the next few months. A ski trip, The Undie Run and friends traveling from afar to come visit us, a beach trip or two, and Kevin's 40th birthday!! We are still deciding on what we will do to celebrate that, but I guarantee it will involve fishing. 

I'm back and I hope I can stay longer this year than last!!



No comments:

Post a Comment